This past Saturday my sweet Gunner turned 1 month old! Crazy crazy CRAZY how fast it has gone. He had his 1-month check-up today, and he is 10 lbs, 6 oz and 23 inches long! He is in the 95th percentile for height and the 75th percentile for weight. Though he is only a month old, I am ecstatic about that 95th percentile because I am hoping he is tall like his mama.
The day before he turned 4 weeks old, he totally smiled at me! It wasn't gas, he wasn't pooping, he wasn't asleep. I was sweet talking to him, and he did the open-mouth, scrunched-up nose smile. And then he cooed right after. It was SO CUTE! He has smiled a few times since but he isn't consistently doing it yet. He doesn't coo a lot yet, either. But when he does, it's so sweet.
Kylie LOVES her baby brother. Sometimes she is a little overwhelming so I have to get onto her about that a couple of times a day. But she likes to love on him and kiss him and hug him. She is a good big sister, and Gunner loves looking at her.
Gunner still sleeps a pretty good amount but he has also started staying awake for several hours at a time. He loves hanging out in his swing, propped up on his Boppy pillow, or being held of course. He is really laid-back and doesn't cry very much. *Knock on wood* Kylie was super colicky starting at about 5-6 weeks so I'm getting nervous but he has been so different than she was so I'm staying positive!
I took some major steps to try to increase my milk supply, and I was unsuccessful. It's disheartening but I am still breastfeeding him. He gets a lot of comfort out of it even after the milk is gone, especially at night. So I plan to keep breastfeeding and bottle feeding with formula.
I went back to work last Wednesday, the day Gunner turned 4 weeks old. My boss is so awesome so I am able to take him to work with me. He has been really good. Most days he has slept most of the time we're there but when he is awake, he just hangs out in a bouncer seat and looks around.
Gunner's right eye is "off" sometimes. It's usually when he first wakes up and when he is eating but it's also at random other times. When he is concentrating/focusing on something, his eyes are fine. Anyway, I talked to his doctor about it today and he noticed it a couple of times so he said we'll keep an eye on it, no pun intended ;) Hopefully it corrects itself and no treatment or surgery is needed.
I guess that's about it for Gunner. He isn't really doing a lot obviously so I'll have more to update about in the coming weeks!
I am so sorry that it hasn't turned out the way you hoped for breastfeeding, but I am so PROUD of you for continuing. Even if he only gets a little bit, each drop is a precious gift. Also the bonding and nurting he is receiving and you are experiencing is priceless. Most people would just quite if they didn't have enough milk so I admire you!!
ReplyDelete