Sunday, September 26, 2010
Sleep? Who needs sleep?!
Since Kylie came home from the hospital at 12 days old, we have struggled off and on with her sleeping. She fights going to sleep and when she finally falls asleep, she often wakes up after just half an hour or an hour. Some nights, she literally wakes up every 30 minutes all night long. Some of the restlessness is from the reflux she's been experiencing but after giving her Zantac twice a day, the reflux has decreased tremendously. She has been sleeping much better at night the past couple of nights but she still stays awake for very long periods during the day and only takes a couple of 15-20 minute catnaps sometimes. Other days, she does take long naps but lately she has not been napping very well. This makes for a very fussy Kylie when 7:00 pm rolls around. For the past few nights, she has screamed bloody murder for at least an hour straight. Tonight, she screamed for about 3 hours almost non-stop. She had Respiratory Distress Syndrome (RDS) when she was born because her lungs weren't fully developed, and tonight she got so worked up at some points that she seemed to be gasping for air. It really scares me because of all the breathing problems she had when she was in the NICU (from the RDS) so I called my mom for advice. I couldn't decide if we should ride it out or take her to the E.R. With the possible hernia, I'm afraid that it's causing her tremendous pain and that's why she's screaming or I'm afraid that maybe she will further damage the hole in her abdominal wall because of the screaming. She's also had diarrhea the past couple of days so I knew her tummy was probably upset and gassy and maybe that's why she was screaming. (It's so hard figuring out what's wrong with a newborn!) So anyway, I gave her some Mylicon to relieve the gas because she'd been passing gas a lot today but she continued to scream. Even though she has been really hating her carseat lately, I finally broke down and told Chris we should go for a ride in the car. So, Chris, Kylie, Marley, Daisy, and I loaded up in the car and left. After a few minutes, Kylie quieted down and fell asleep. (By the way, red lights and stop signs are my new worst enemies when Kylie gets in these fits! She cries as soon as we have to stop.) Once we got on the highway, she slept the entire time. After half an hour or so, we decided to go back home. She stayed quiet for a few minutes after we got inside but woke up and started screaming again. Chris finally layed her on his legs, "bicycled" her legs, and let 'em rip. After passing gas for several minutes, we fed her gripe water mixed in a bottle, and she finally calmed down completely! It was our first time using gripe water, and I've been very hesitant about using it but after Chris and I both did extensive research on it, I decided to get it. I changed the sheet on her bed, sprayed her sheet with some aromatherapy spray from Bath & Body Works, swaddled her in a blanket, kissed her goodnight, and she has been sound asleep for about 45 minutes! What a huge sigh of relief! I'm hoping she's not colicky and maybe has just been gassy so if this happens again tomorrow, HOPEFULLY our routine tonight will prevent the screaming fit from lasting 3 hours!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gripe water was something we used a good bit with Addison! It's also great for hiccups because she hated them and got them a lot. They sale it the health food stores too so it made me feel ok about using i. Hang in there girl!! It wont be like this for long. It just feels like forever in that moment.
ReplyDelete