Sunday, June 19, 2011

Panic

I mentioned in my last post that we spent 4 days at the beach. Kylie wasn't too sure what to think of the sand. She got it on her hands the first time we went to the beach on Thursday, and she looked at her hand like it had thorns growing out of it. She HATED it. She wouldn't stand in it, she wouldn't sit in it...heck, she barely even LOOKED at it! She just didn't want it anywhere near her. The water was a different story. She's my little water baby. She loves water...warm or cold. She loves baths, she loves the pool, she loves faucets, she loves the dogs' and cats' water bowls, and now she loves the ocean. She had so much fun sitting at the water's edge letting the waves come over her feet or her lap. My mom and I took turns holding her as we went into the water, about waist-deep. We just had a lot of fun jumping when the waves came and splashing around in the water.


Until today. My mom was holding Kylie, and the three of us went out into the water. The waves were crashing pretty hard, and we had a little trouble getting out into the water but once we did, we had a great time as we had every time before. I offered to take Kylie from my mom and pretty soon after I did, I looked behind me and saw this massive way coming toward us. I turned to my mom and said, "Oh my gosh, Mom. Look at that wave!!!" There was no getting away from it, and I would never have made it to shore before it got to us even though we were only about waist-deep. The wave just got bigger and bigger as it moved toward us and as soon as it reached us, I knew we were in trouble. The wave was seriously like 10 feet above the floor of the ocean. It crashed right on top of the 3 of us, and I held onto Kylie as tightly as I could. The wave was SO strong, I almost lost grip of her. We went entirely under water, and as soon as we made it back above water, we frantically tried to get back to shore. But then another massive wave came and shoved us under water. As soon as we got back above water again, another massive wave hit us. And then another. I have never been so panicked in my life. I was shaking for a good 30 minutes afterward. It was terrifying. I am so, so thankful Kylie held her breath all FOUR times we got knocked under. I didn't take Kylie into the water after that. She and I went back up to the room shortly after and when my mom and sister came up about an hour later, my mom told me the same thing happened to another family and their baby after we left. 


But here are a few pictures of Kylie enjoying the water...





1 comment: