Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Mural at the Library

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take Kylie to the library one afternoon to pick out some books to read. She was so excited! We got there and picked out several books from the kids section and within 2 minutes, we were finished. My kinda girl! Anyway, as we were checking out, Kylie kept saying "A monkey! Look, mama! A monkey!" I had no idea what she was talking about so I asked her where she saw a monkey, and she pointed to the mural on the wall behind us. I was MORTIFIED!!! The mural is of several African-American men and women. I can not even begin to tell you how embarrassed I was. How do I even teach her, at just barely 2 years old, that people are different skin colors and that black people are not monkeys? Oh man, I hope that never happens again!

1 comment:

  1. ooh wow! not funny, but kind of. It's hard when kids don't know about being courtesies or things like that. We've been talking a lot about how people look different because Addison wants to know what her new brother will look like we talk about how he will probably be tan. I know Weston doesn't really get it but he's usually in the room. I keep waiting for the day they embarrass me with stuff like that. haha

    ReplyDelete