I had surgery a couple of weeks ago. For my pre-op appointment 2 days before surgery, I had to fill out a sheet about my medical history. I noted on it that I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with Kylie. For some reason, the nurse put in an order for my blood sugar to be checked on the day of surgery. I told the nurse on the day of surgery I didn't have diabetes anymore but she just said, "Oh, what the heck. I will check it anyway." And thank goodness she did! A normal fasting blood sugar level is supposed to be under 100. I hadn't eaten in 16 hours, and my blood sugar was 164! The nurse advised me to make an appointment with my doctor, and so I did.
My appointment was this morning. I didn't eat before I went just in case they wanted to do some blood work. The nurse pricked my finger, and my blood sugar was much lower but it was still 106. My doctor diagnosed me as a pre-diabetic.
Basically, if I lose weight and maintain a healthy diet and active lifestyle, I can prevent becoming diabetic. Honestly, though, I have no idea where this came from. Nobody in my family has ever had or has any type of diabetes. I am overweight but not THAT much overweight. My BMI is only 26%, and a healthy range is between 19% and 25%. I am only like 10 pounds over the maximum weight in the range for my "ideal weight." I know plenty of people who are much heavier than I am and who eat way worse than I do who don't have diabetes. It's a little frustrating but I am so very thankful that I don't have it and can prevent myself from getting it.
I haven't been able to work out the last couple of weeks because of surgery so I am really missing the gym! Thankfully I have maintained my weight. I am 15 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight but I still have 14 pounds until I reach my first goal. My ultimate goal is to be right in the middle of the weight range for my "ideal weight," and I am 24 pounds from there. My original goal was just to get down to 29 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight but now that's just my first goal. I want to continue losing weight after that (just an additional 10 pounds) after talking with my doctor today.
So please pray that I will have the motivation to lose this weight and maintain a healthy diet so that I can prevent the onset of Type 2 diabetes!
But 15 pounds under prepregnancy is great! That is some hard weight to lose!I am proud of your motivation. Try SparkPeople.com It really helped me when I lost weight with the YMCA's Team Lean!
ReplyDelete