Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Who knew you could learn so much from a trip to the airport?

Part of the deployment Chris was supposed to go on earlier this year came back today. Several of Chris' friends were on the deployment, and the wife (Bailey) of one of his friends wanted to surprise her husband by showing up at the homecoming ceremony instead of coming later this month when they planned on her moving here. She asked me to pick up her and her 3 month old baby from the San Diego airport yesterday. I'd like to share what I learned from this trip...

1) Kylie could probably win an award for being the fussiest baby in the United States. She may even take the gold for the entire world. I will admit, she has been less fussy since switching her to the soy formula but she is definitely her mother's child. "Well obviously," I'm sure you're thinking, because I gave birth to her. But what I mean is that she acts EXACTLY like I did when I was baby. It's kind of scary actually, haha. She literally just cries for no reason sometimes. And really, it's not even crying. It's just screaming. I think she likes to hear herself. I'm glad my mom understands my frustrations, though. It's nice to be able to talk to her about it and she understand what I'm going through. Bailey's baby was so good. And when she needs something, she only wimpers.

2) The San Diego Airport needs more parking. I drove around the Terminal 1 parking lot for 15 minutes looking for a parking spot. Kylie was screaming in the back seat, and I was growing increasingly frustrated at the lack of open parking spots. I finally resorted to parking at the end of a row of cars, next to a curb painted red with "FIRE LANE" stenciled on it. Everyone else was doing it so I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get ticketed or towed (and I didn't).

3) Our car is entirely too small. For some reason, we thought it was a good idea to get a 2-door car. I guess we weren't thinking we'd have a baby soon after or that there is just simply never enough room for anything. It's a nice car, don't get me wrong. And I'm very thankful we have it. But we just really need a 4-door car. Bailey brought a bunch of stuff with her, and it took us forever to fit it all in the back seat, trunk, and Bailey's lap, especially considering we had two babies in the back seat. REALLY, we need 2 cars but I'd just be happy with one 4-door car.

4) I am so thankful Chris did not go on that deployment. Ok, I didn't just realize this yesterday but it just made me more thankful he didn't go. Bailey's baby is just 3 days younger than Kylie, and her husband has never met the baby. That's just so sad to me. He missed so much (including her birth), even if she is only 3 1/2 months old. I just really couldn't imagine that. I told/asked Chris tonight, "Think about it. If you would have gone on that deployment, today would have been the very first day you ever met Kylie. Could you imagine?"

5) Kylie is most certainly going through a growth spurt. If there was any question in my mind before yesterday, it no longer exists. Kylie usually eats 3 ounces every 3 hours. Several days ago, she started screaming immediately following every feeding so I would give her another ounce, and she'd be content. I started making her 4 ounces at every feeding after a few feedings with the screaming episodes, and I assumed she'd go 4 hours between feedings. (Before Kylie started spitting up a lot, she had been eating 4-5 ounces every 4-5 hours for a couple weeks.) But, she was only going 3 1/2-4 hours between feedings. And she started cluster feeding at night again. Yesterday, she could barely make it 3 hours between each feeding. The only concern I have is weight gain. Her old pediatrician told me she was concerned Kylie was gaining too much weight. For the first month (or more) of her life, she was on a special formula that was intended to make her gain weight more quickly because she was premature. The NICU she was released from was feeding her that formula in the hospital and told us to continue it when she got out. I know Kylie wasn't eating too much. After the pediatrician told me that, I researched online what babies "usually" ate at her age, and she was eating far less than every single post I read. Anyway, that's one of the many reasons I changed Kylie's pediatrician.

6) The hemangioma on Kylie's head is apparently the first thing people notice about her. A few weeks ago, I was at the vet and took Kylie out of her carseat because she was fussing (surprise, surprise, haha). The receptionist gasped and said, "Oh my gosh! What happened?" Really, lady? Yesterday at the airport, a lady came up to me and said, "Birth mark?" Again...really, lady? As if I didn't worry about it enough already...

No comments:

Post a Comment