Thursday, February 24, 2011

1st Appointment

Kylie's appointment with the physical therapist was this morning. I just knew she was going to scream the entire time because she's so weird around strangers, especially when they touch her but she was awesome!

Kylie sat and layed on a blanket on the floor while the PT watched her play, and she said Kylie looks completely normal and is developing right on time. Then the PT did some massaging, bending, rubbing, squeezing, and stretching on Kylie's feet and legs. She said she could definitely tell Kylie has highER muscle tone but not hypertonia. She mentioned that tip-toe standing isn't usually a concern with babies this age but I guess with the low reflexes and stiff ankles, the pediatrician thought it was a concern. Anyway, the PT said she thinks Kylie may have a little sensitivity on the bottoms of her feet because of her reactions when the PT touched and rubbed them, which could be why she's tip-toe standing. We'll be going once a week for about a month for massaging, stretching, and exercising to loosen up the muscles in her legs and help with the sensitivity on the bottoms of her feet (if she has that).

I called to make an appointment with the neurologist but they don't work with babies, either. I think before I go looking for a pediatric neurologist, I'll talk to Kylie's pediatrician to see if she even still wants Kylie to see a neurologist after the PT's findings today.

Chris and I were talking the other night about our theory of why the pediatrician thought Kylie had hypertonia in the first place. When Kylie gets in uncomfortable situations or when she is lying on her back and wants to sit up, she stiffens up her whole body, especially her legs and feet. So we think she may be doing that when the pediatrician is checking her reflexes and whatnot. And that combined with the fact that she does have some extra muscle tone, it probably seemed worse than it really was because when Kylie stiffens up, it's impossible to bend her knees or ankles. Kylie doesn't have another check-up until she's 9 months old so I definitely plan to make an appointment sooner so she can look over Kylie again and advise us about the neurologist.

Anyways, praise God! We are so thankful for this outcome. I feel like it has just been one thing after another since Kylie was born so I'm just glad this wasn't as bad as it could have been.

1 comment: