Saturday, February 26, 2011

She had the baby!

As Chris and I were getting ready this morning to go to this Dr. Seuss thing at Target, Carrie called me. I answered the phone, "Are you in labor?!" She laughed and told me she'd been having contractions throughout the night, and they were getting stronger but were still very sporadic. She planned to give birth at a birth center in San Diego (about 40 miles away) so she wanted to head down there just to be on the safe side instead of waiting until it was too late. A little after 9:00 am, Carrie and her husband (Jason) dropped off their son (Elijah) with us, and we headed to Target. I expected there would be at least 50 children there but I was surprised to see we were the only people there! Elijah got a little goody bag, and he and Kylie listened to a Target employee with a Cat in the Hat hat on read 3 Dr. Seuss books. After we left, we came back home, ate lunch, and let Kylie take a little nap. Around 11:30 am, Carrie texted me saying her contractions were still very sporadic, she was only 2 cm dialated, she was 80% effaced, and her water hadn't broken so they were driving around San Diego. She said the birth center told them they could either go back home or hang around in San Diego, and she thought it would be best if they hung around there because her contractions were getting more intense.

We had an appointment at 2:00 pm to meet with the manager of a prospective apartment complex (that's a different blog post). While we were meeting with her, Chris got the call that Carrie had given birth and that they were headed to the hospital. We were a little worried because as I mentioned before, Carrie had planned to give birth at a birth center so we weren't sure why they were heading to the hospital. I'd left my phone in the car so when I went to get something out of the car, I looked at my phone and read a text from Carrie saying she'd had the baby around 2:30 pm on her bathroom floor at home!!! Apparently they had decided to go back home. While at home, her water broke so they decided to go back to the birth center. As Jason was getting everything ready to leave, he went to the bathroom, and Carrie told him the baby was about to come out. And a few minutes later, he was born! The fire department got there about 10 minutes later and about 30 minutes after he was born, they went to the hospital on base. They're keeping Carrie and the baby overnight but Jason is spending the night at home so he picked up Elijah about an hour and a half ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment