Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hoping for some relief...finally!

For the past few weeks, Kylie has gotten to the point where she fusses almost the entire time she is awake. She'll be happy no more than 20 minutes and then starts crying. It's very frustrating, and I'd talked to a doctor about it before (not her pediatrician) but she didn't really give me an explanation. And the past couple of weeks, she has started sleeping a lot more. At least 20 hours a day, not including feedings. I finally broke down and decided to call the doctor. I feel like we've lived in hospitals and doctors' offices since she was born so I hate calling but I was really getting concerned. Her pediatrician's office stays open on the weekdays until 8:00 pm (they are even open on Saturdays and Sundays!) so I called at 6:50 pm tonight and made an appointment for 7:15 pm. Her pediatrician thinks her formula may be causing her to be really gassy, and that would make her uncomfortable, which would explain her crying so much. She suggested that we switch her formula to Enfamil Gentlease. We had 7 unopened cans of Enfamil Premium Infant but thankfully the grocery store let us exchange them for the Gentlease. If I don't notice a change in her fussiness in a week, she said we might try a soy-based formula. It's times like these that I get really depressed and really aggravated that I never got the chance to breastfeed. But anyway, her pediatrician said that she is sleeping so much either because of a growth spurt or because she is sleeping like a newborn because technically, she should be about 6 weeks old instead of 12 weeks. Oh, and Kylie weighs a whopping 10 pounds, 12 ounces!

Tomorrow is my maternal grandmother's birthday. She passed away from cancer in January 1989 so I never really got to know her. I was 17 months old when she passed away. I so wish that she was still alive. She seemed like a really great lady, and I would love to have gotten to know her.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there girl! This is a baby's fussiest time. It can make you feel helpless because sometimes there is nothing you can do if her needs are already met. Addison was so fussy and crying all the time during this stage. It was emotionally very tiring for me. It's hard when they are alert more but can't actually do anything but look around. It will get better in time. At least she is sleeping a lot! Addison was only sleeping 3, 20-30 minute naps a day at Kylie's age. I hope the formula switch helps!

    ReplyDelete