I've been looking for a job off and on for about 6 months. At first I wasn't really looking very hard but the last couple of months, I have been diligently looking every single day. I didn't get a single call for a while but on January 4 I finally had my first interview. I was offered the position but politely declined because it was part-time, and I would need to be flexible, which would kind of hinder me from getting a second part-time job. So I kept looking. I went to Ambassador, a staffing agency, and they started helping me. A couple weeks after I put in my application with Ambassador, my liaison called to tell me that the HR guy at a life insurance company wanted to interview me for a position in the administrative/accounting department. Long story short, I went to 2 interviews with them, and early last week my liaison told me they were going to offer me the position. I didn't hear anything more about it so I assumed they'd changed their minds so I kept applying for jobs and went to another interview at the end of last week. Well, this morning my liaison called me again to tell me I had an appointment with the life insurance company tomorrow to be officially offered the job. Then this afternoon, the lady at the place I interviewed with late last week called to offer me that position!
Since I started this job hunting journey, I've prayed everyday that God would lead me to the right job. I prayed for a job that was right for me and for my family, and I prayed to get a job by the time Chris gets out of the Marines. I also prayed that I would be offered the job I was supposed to take so I'd have a clear answer to what job was right for me. Well, I sure didn't expect to get offered 2 jobs the same day! So what do I do?!
I struggled over that decision. There were pros and cons to both. The job at the life insurance company was full-time, would offer me benefits after 90 days, was decent pay (but a little less than I wanted), and would allow me to advance within the company. The other job is only 15 hours a week, provides no benefits, is a little more pay than the life insurance company job, and allows me to receive free tuition to the day school Kylie was already signed up for starting in August. I struggled over several other things, and I prayed and prayed and prayed, and I finally felt at peace about the job at St. Thomas Episcopal Church. I had actually just registered Kylie to start going there for 2-year-old preschool a couple weeks ago. The director of the day school there also works at the YMCA, where I worked for several years. She just happened to walk in on some people talking about the open position, and we had just been talking about me looking for a job a few days before so she immediately threw my name out. So I feel like God put her in the right place at the right time and put us together to talk about me looking for a job so she'd think about me. I won't be working with the day school; I'll be working in the church office but it will be great because when Kylie does start school there in August, I'll be right there on the premises! The job is basically exactly what I have been looking for. It will give me some really good experience.
Once I get settled there, I'm going to continue my search for a second part-time job. There is one prospect I am hoping works out but I'm going to keep looking just in case it doesn't. I start the job on Monday, and I am so excited!
Now to find a day care for Kylie...
No comments:
Post a Comment